If moving into a new house is a big change, then setting up a kitchen is indeed a humongous task. Ask a home maker and you will know why. And one of the most crucial component in a kitchen is undoubtedly the Counter Top.
Wisely said that a counter top is the backbone of a kitchen. Hence, it’s very important to know more about a kitchen counter top before you finally decide to pick one. Here are 4 ground rules which will help you get started:
1. Counter Top Height
The standard counter height is related to the average Indian height which is generally between 820 mm to 860 mm. The counter top should ideally be a few inches above your waist length to avoid spills from cooking surface. Also, ensure that the distance between kitchen cabinets and the counter top should not be too much as the upward it goes, the more difficult it is for you to reach the upper shelves.
2. Counter Top Material
Broadly, there are 6 kitchen counter top materials that are widely used in the Indian market:
- Granite: If chopping and cutting is a regular feature in your kitchen, you can opt for this material as this withstands spills, scratches and is easy to maintain.
- Marble: Besides being a sturdy material, it is one of the classiest materials to go for given its looks and durability.
- Tiles: Hard to clean but available in different patterns and colours, this is the choice for those who are more into instant cooking methods.
- Laminates: Available in many colours, it is lightweight and an economical option for many home makers today.
- Steel: Strong yet expensive, this is typically used by chefs for its modern and professional looks.
- Solid Surface: If you like to go by traditional designs, solid surface is your bet as this natural stone too is available in varied colours.
For a comprehensive guide on the kitchen counter top materials, click here to know more.
3. Colour Options
Getting the perfect colour for your kitchen counter top will depend on the following factors:
- Kitchen Cabinets: If your kitchen cabinets are in wood, you could choose granite texture to blend well with the overall kitchen theme. However, if your cabinets and shelves are in single colour say red or blue, you could either choose a complete contrast like white Marble or team it up with a different shade of the same colour.
- Material: If you’ve already decided on the counter top material, your colour choice will be dependent on the colours available in that material. While marble and steel have limited colour options; laminates and granite offer a wide gamut of patterns and colour palette.
Know the net counter top cost before making a deal
Based on the material you choose, your counter top cost will be defined by that. However, a standard granite counter top will cost Rs.550 per square foot but it can vary depending on the pattern, thickness of the material. Remember that if you are getting it done from a carpenter, the net cost of kitchen counter top is not just confined to buying the material but also installing it as per your kitchen size, labour and freight charges.
So, the next you go to shop for the right counter top for your kitchen designs, you know what points to keep in mind before making the final call.